Understanding Lemon Laws In Ohio
Purchasing or leasing a new vehicle should be fun and exciting. When you find yourself dealing with repairs in the first year of owning a new car, the experience is anything but fun. At Lemon LawDog, our attorneys help consumers throughout Ohio get refunds or replacement vehicles when a new car, truck, motorcycle or RV turns out to be a lemon.
You don’t have to go through the lemon law process alone. Lemon LawDog is here to help. For a free case evaluation, please call us at 888-472-1124 or complete our contact form. Our Ohio lemon law attorneys represent clients statewide.
Consumer Protection For Motor Vehicle Defects: Nonconforming New Motor Vehicle Law
The Ohio Attorney General’s office handles consumer complaints, including lemon law claims, across the state. The lemon law in Ohio is officially called the Nonconforming New Motor Vehicle Law. Under the Ohio Lemon Law:
- Auto manufacturers are required to repair or replace a defective vehicle in a reasonable amount of time.
- Auto manufacturers are required to provide notice to consumers regarding their rights to compensation if a new vehicle is defective.
- Consumers have the right to a refund if the manufacturer does not repair or replace a defective vehicle within a reasonable amount of time.
The Ohio Lemon Law applies to new passenger vehicles, motorcycles and other noncommercial vehicles. It does not apply to used vehicles.
What Is A Lemon Vehicle Under Ohio Law?
The Nonconforming New Motor Vehicle Law further defines a lemon vehicle. In Ohio, a lemon vehicle is:
- A new motor vehicle that has one or more defects or problems
- Those defects or problems are covered by the manufacturer’s warranty
- Those defects or problems substantially interfere and impair the vehicle’s use, value or safety
In addition, the defects or problems must arise within 18,000 miles or the first 12 months of ownership of the vehicle, whichever comes first. Also, the vehicle owner must give the dealer or manufacturer a reasonable opportunity to fix the problem or defect by taking the vehicle back to the dealer or the manufacturer.
Contact Lemon LawDog For A Free Case Evaluation
Our consumer protection attorneys offer a free initial consultation to discuss your potential claims and answer any of your questions. To schedule your free appointment, please call Lemon LawDog at 888-472-1124 or fill out our contact form. We represent clients throughout Ohio.